Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Grilled Halloumi

David and I love cheese.  Our dogs are named after cheeses.  Our cheese drawer is always stocked, even when there isn't a cracker in the house.  Maybe this fact is too obvious to those that know us.  But because we flaunt our cheese obsession so proudly we have wonderful friends that bring us cheese back from their favorite Greek market and change the way I'll look at my grill pan forever.  Before I continue, I have to go back to clarify.  Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese.  It is a cheese made with sheep and cows milk, salt, and a bit of mint.  Halloumi has a very high melting David point so it is perfect for grilling.  I have big plans for my new favorite new cheese in shish kabobs this summer.  I'll even make a few for my omnivore friends.

Grilling Halloumi is simple.  Cut slices about a quarter of an inch thick and lay on a hot grill.  Try not to adjust the cheese, it will be easier to remove once it's grilled.  After a few minutes, flip and grill the other side.  That's it!

I toasted a bit of pita to go along with store-bought hummus.  The grilled lemons and green beans were a wonderful suggestion of 101 cookbooks.  Anytime I try a new ingredient I attempt to read as many recipes as I can to see the common techniques.  Halloumi is simple.  I think it's best when you serve it with other simple foods.  I had never grilled a lemon before, or any fruit now that I think of it, and it is amazing how a bit of heat can transform the flavors and draw so much juice out of this little yellow fruit.  Since becoming a vegetarian, I haven't used my grill pan once.  Now, I see so many other possibilities...  Maybe even dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment