Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Vegetarian Chicken & Dumplings



Okay, you got me.  I’m a vegetarian.  I didn't want to bring this up sooner out of fear that you would freak out and assume that all we eat is tofurkey and Morning Star.  Though, I haven't planned out Thanksgiving...  See, I have never been much of a carnivore, but for my first new year's resolution I've given up meat cold turkey {pun intended}.  Honestly, I have had one dream about Five Guys, but other than that it hasn't been terribly difficult.  This may be one reason that you'll see a lot of recipes from Fresh 365, which are also all veggie.  I really love that her posts aren't about making food vegetarian, but just about really good food that is vegetarian.  That's all I can hope for, because life is too short to eat fake meat.

Vegetarian Chicken & Dumplings

Adapted from Fresh 365

4 T unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
6 T all-purpose flour
3 T sherry cooking wine

6 cups vegetable broth {4c broth, 2c H20  I don't use broth often enough to save half a box.  Plus, I always feel like the vegetable broth I buy looks too... concentrated.  I know that it isn't, but I like to water it down anyway.  This may effect your NaCl.  In a good way.}
1/2 cup lowfat milk

2 t salt

1/2 t pepper

2 bay leaves
1 t fresh thyme leaves
3 c chopped mushrooms (10 oz)

2 c chopped celery (6 stalks)

1 c chopped carrots
1 c frozen peas

2 T minced fresh chives

Serves 4-6

Dumplings

Now... I've tried Erin's recipe, and I flubbed it up.  Big time.  So, I called upon my good friend Jiffy.  This is a fail-safe way to make easy, fluffy dumplings.

1 box of Jiffy Buttermilk biscuit mix
1/4 cup of milk

1/4 cup water {because I couldn't decide between milk or water}

1/4 cup minced fresh herbs (I used chives, thyme & sage) {just like Erin}
2 T unsalted butter, melted

In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté until onion begin to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Whisk in the flour and sherry {I was fresh out of sherry), scraping any brown bits of the bottom of the pan. Add the vegetable broth {and water}, milk, salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil {Once, I forgot this step.  Dinner was still amazing.}, and add mushrooms, celery, carrots, peas and chives. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Season to taste.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and herbs. Gently mix in melted butter and milk, until mixture just comes together (DO NOT over-mix or dumplings will be dense). {For reals...}
Drop dumpling batter into the simmering stew by heaping teaspoonfuls (about 15 total). Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 15 minutes.  Whatever you do, DON’T uncover while the dumplings are cooking, as steam will escape and you’re dumplings won’t cook properly.

1 comment: