Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Anasazi Beans



This is an example of a food impulse purchase.  Usually those come in the form of gummi bears or cupcakes, but occasionally they are healthier, more beautiful, choices.  Anasazi (ahn-a-sa-zee) beans remind me of a Paint Horse, or an impressionist painting, or a gorgeous progeny of a kidney bean and a Great Northern.  The latter may not be too far off. 

When I bought these beauties I wasn’t quite sure what my plan for them would be.  When in doubt, I read the packaging. Since the recipe on the bag recommends cooking them with hamhocks, I assumed that their flavor was similar to a pinto bean. 

Usually, I cook beans with a 4 (liquid) to 1 (bean) ratio.  This works for my stove, cookware, spot in the universe.  After about 2 hours, these little gems were the perfect texture and had produced a beautiful saucy-gravy that is the perfect compliment to cornbread or chips.  Notable differences between Anasazi and other beans:  They cook faster (Biggie in my book.) and have a slightly sweeter flavor. (They really would compliment ham, for all you omnivores out there.)

Interesting fact: Anasazi is a Navajo word meaning “ancient ones”.

Anasazi Beans

1lb Anasazi beans
1qt vegetable stock
1qt water
1T pinto bean seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Optional Garnishes:
sharp white Cheddar
sour cream
freshly chopped cilantro

Rinse beans and cover with vegetable stock and water.  Cover and place over medium-low heat.  Stir and check water level occasionally.  Once beans have reached desired texture, season to taste.  Serve with cornbread, corn chips, or tortillas.  

Serves 6


No comments:

Post a Comment