Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes & Goat Cheese


Lately, I’ve been trying to keep my culinary conquests under an hour.  {Hence, the Lunch-for-Dinner posts.}  I’ve also been interested in introducing new foods to our diet.  My new years resolution has cut out all of the most-obvious sources of protein out of our dinner rotation, so I’ve taken an interest in a few new foods that before now I’ve been nervous to try. 

Quinoa is grain-like and is a great substitute for rice or couscous.  Unlike true grains, this pseudo-cereal is high in protein and is gluten-free.  Quinoa can be cooked by using the same method as rice, the 2 (water) to 1 (rice, or in this case, quinoa) ratio.  Of course, I immediately, and correctly, assume that my rice cooker is the proper tool for this task.  After a quick rinse (easier said than done) and a pinch of salt, I set the rice cooker to cook, and 15 minutes later I had a fluffy and healthy new protein to put on the table.

Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes & Goat Cheese
Adapted from Vegetarian Times

1 large head of broccoli, cut into small florets
1/3 cup soft goat cheese
1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, about 5
2 T pine nuts
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 cup quinoa

Once your quinoa is set to cook, toast pine nuts in dry skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to large bowl.

Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, and cook 2 minutes, or until florets are evenly coated with oil and are beginning to soften and brown, stir frequently. Carefully add 1/3 cup water; cover tightly with lid. Steam broccoli 4 minutes, or until water has evaporated and broccoli is tender.

Transfer broccoli to bowl with toasted pine nuts, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle goat cheese over broccoli, and stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Drizzle vinegar over top, and serve warm over quinoa.

Serves 3

No comments:

Post a Comment